Improving video connection success rate

• I assume a TURN server can’t hurt and it might help. Does a TURN server always run on port 443 (where I currently have mediasoup)? Would it be wise to move my mediasoup to a different port and then add a TURN server on 443? Or run TURN on a different port?

You don’t have “mediasoup running on port 443” because mediasoup does not listen for HTTP or WebSocket traffic at all. You may mean your HTTP/WS signaling server (which is not part of mediasoup).

For worst network cases you should have your TURN server listening into TLS port 443 with a proper TLS certificate. Since some networks (WiFi in hotels and so on) block traffic other than 80 and 443, you’d rather have TURN listening in TLS 443 of public IP_A and your HTTP/WS signaling server in TLS 443 of public IP_B.

• Since the VPN problem is the currently the only problem that I can definitely identify/reproduce, how can I fix this issue? I realize this might have more to do with the signaling protocol that comes before mediasoup starts… but would still appreciate ANY mercy/help in approaching this problem!! :slight_smile:

I don’t know why the VPN is the problem. No info. Try to check what exactly is wrong by testing a browser with VPN, check chrome://webrtc-internals, enable and check mediasoup server side logs, use mediasoup server side and mediasoup-client local side getStats(), etc.