MediaSoup Installation Error In Windows 10 in VsCode React Project

Thanks, installing make from msys did the trick.

I tried going back to make for windows - Make for Windows. That gives the same path error.
Even I had old mingw32-make which caused the same problem.

This make does not work- (not sure if this is reproducible by others, if so a warn in document would be good)

C:\softwares\make\bin>make --version
GNU Make 3.81
Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for i386-pc-mingw32

This make works: (which is already in your document which is good)

C:\myprojects\mediasoup>make --version
GNU Make 3.81
Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for i686-pc-msys

Both are same version, I have no clue why other one fails.

Regarding the certificate thing, I did not get time to check. But now my builds are clean :slight_smile: I will move ahead now.

I have no idea what the difference is either and what is the most canonical of those options. Windows is a weird platform for me.

The makes are generally one and the same GNU make. It uses sh.exe as default shell and cmd.exe if sh.exe is not found. And MSYS just comes with its own sh.exe comfortably found in the same folder as msys’ make.exe.

1 Like

on mac the following solved it for me

cd /Applications/Python\ 3.7
./Install\ Certificates.command

Thanks for this thread, there are all information needed for compiling it on windows machine.

• I need to run “vcvars64.bat” before build (located C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\VC\Auxiliary\Build). No idea why it was removed from the documentation, it was essential step for me.

• Was stuck loooong hours with the certificate issue and it turned out I needed this certificate, not the one linked in mediasoup :: Installation . Importing this to windows store worked asap. Chain of Trust - Let's Encrypt

Hi @nazar-pc, is this something that would make sense to document? Tomáš Jílek is a coworker of Jose and mine and spent log of time making it work.

Another observation:

vcvars64.bat was needed in older versions of mediasoup, but should no longer be required in latest release, environment will be configured automatically. If that isn’t the case, we need to figure out why (there is Despite --vsenv command meson doesn't seem to recognize Visual Studio environment · Issue #9864 · mesonbuild/meson · GitHub open, but it works both in CI and for me on Windows 10 VM, not sure how to reproduce yet).

That certificate should already be installed on a typical Windows 10 system, but older systems may not have ISRG Root X1 to verify that Let's Encrypt R3 is valid (if I understand it correctly), hence extra steps mentioned in the installation steps. Those are not really mediasoup-specific (many apps would fail to download contents from websites with Let’s Encrypt certificate), but if there are other gotchas, please submit a PR to the instructions.

Yes, there are multiple versions and installation instructions explicitly mention version that works, no idea why other builds are different, but hopefully Replace Makefile with Python script · Issue #701 · versatica/mediasoup · GitHub will be done in no so distant future and Make will no longer be necessary.

Even having ISRG Root X1 is not sufficient for me. Absolutely no idea why, but installing Let's Encrypt R3 made it work (regardless of having or not having ISRG Root X1).

Then it is fair to assume someone else might have the same problem, can you submit a PR to mediasoup-website mentioning this one as well?

Yeah, it resembles this problem/post MediaSoup Installation Error In Windows 10 in VsCode React Project - #35 by engi above