Simulcast dropping to spatialLayer 0 after recreating producer

I’m trying to wrap my heard around this. I’ve seen this behavior both in our app and in the mediasoup demo app but only using FF. The config uses 3 spatial layers for the webcam producer. This are just the default demo settings.

STRs
Open two FF (v84) session in different computers, same network:

1. Share the webcam

On the consumer side the currently used layers are S[2] T[2]

In the producer remote stats I see 3 RTP video streams (rIds: 0,1,2) with 3 layers each. All the ll the bitrates for the layers are set.

In the receiver remote stats I see a video RTP stream for the highest layer with rId 2 and 3 temporal layers.

1. Stop sharing the camera
  2. Share the camera again, repeat this process

After repeating this a couple of times the higher RTP streams for the producer end that with 0 bitrate temporal layers and eventually are not created so the producer eventually just sends one RTP stream for the lowest spatial layer

Notes:

• The downlink BWE estimation stays the same throughout the whole test
  • I have tried to force setMaxSendingSpatialLayer to 2 every time I create the webcam producer but it doesn’t seem to have any effect.
  • I have also tried to setConsumerPreferredLayers to 2,2 after the consumer is created but also doesn’t seem to have any effect.
  • I have checked that every time the producer is created the right encodings are used

Maybe Mediasoup is creating only a spatial layer 0 stream because it thinks the client doesn’t have enough bandwidth or maybe because “the browser may stop sending spatial layer 1 due to CPU load, etc” as I read here?

It’s not happening with Chrome (although it just creates 1 spatial and 2 temporal layers but that is probably Chrome’s implementation limitations) so might be some sort of FF bug but I jut wanted to make sure that this is not me doing some obvious thing wrong or missing some parameter somewhere and I’m not the only one seeing this behavior.

Thanks!

If the browser just send one or two spatial layers (RTP streams when simulcast) then mediasoup can uso magic so it just seems a single stream.

Yes, browser’s decision based on CPU usage, etc. It can also happen in Chrome, sure.