Why do we need to consume videos as paused?

Some times consuming a video fails (video is not loaded) if I consume the video as paused = false. Do we really have to send an extra request to resume the video?

And how about audio?

The demo app creates the video Consumer with paused: true as an optimization to wait for the Consumer to be also created in the browser app before mediasoup requests a keyframe to the corresponding Producer.

Some times consuming a video fails (video is not loaded) if I consume the video as paused = false .

It should not fail. However the consumer browser may have to wait a bit more for a second keyframe. I expect this is what you see sometimes.

Thanks for the explanation :ok_hand:

Anyway, even if you don’t start the video consumer with paused: true, it should work (with some potential delay in video rendering). Doesn’t it?

Not sure, maybe it is some thing else like simulcast. Need to do more tests.

I’m seeing something that might be related.

For me, if I don’t create video Consumers with paused: true, the second client-side Consumer that is created in each client always receives a track that can’t play. (The play() call hangs forever. If the video element’s srcObject is changed, after attempting to play, the browser throws a DOMException.)

The first Consumer, and every Consumer after the second Consumer, work fine. If I follow the same practice as the demo and create the Consumer as paused, initially, then everything (including the second client-side Consumer that is created) works fine.

I just tracked this down and it’s reproducible for me on all browsers. I can create a minimal test case, if that’s helpful.

I can’t figure out nor why video.play() hangs forever neither why changing its srcObject throws. Anyway, yes, a minimal test case would help.

Said that, the proper way of creating a video consumer is by doing it in paused mode until its parameters are transmitted to the browser and the browser side consumer is created (as the demo does).

Upps, it makes sense that the second consumer fails:

• When the first consumer is created, the WebRTC transport is not yet connected (it’s done upon creation of the first consumer in mediasoup-client) so mediasoup does not yet request a keyframe to the producer.
  • Once ICE+DTLS is connected, mediasoup will request a keyframe to the producer and that keyframe will properly reach the mediasoup-client consumer (which is already ready to process it).
  • However when a second consumer is created in the server (with paused: false) the transport is already connected so mediasoup will immediately request a keyframe to the producer, and that keyframe may reach the consuming mediasoup-client before its local side consumer is created.
  • If so, the browser will drop/ignore such a keyframe and, once the local consumer is created, it will receive RTP packets that cannot render (keyframe is missing). Theoretically the PeerConnection should send a PLI or FIR to request a keyframe.

BTW I’ve improved the doc about this: https://mediasoup.org/documentation/v3/mediasoup/api/#ConsumerOptions