mediasoup 3.9.0 released (GYP replaced with Meson build system)

Hi, mediasoup 3.9.0 has been released.

Among others, it replaces the deprecated GYP build system with Meson. This is a huge work done by @nazar-pc.

Summary of changes in 3.9.0:

• Replaces GYP build system with fully-functional Meson build system (PR #622).
  • Worker communication optimization (aka removing netstring dependency) (PR #644).
  • Move TypeScript and compiled JavaScript code to a new node folder.
  • Use ES6 private fields.
  • Require Node.js version >= 12.

Please check the new requirements to install mediasoup at mediasoup :: Installation.

5 Likes

BTW, NPM package is down from 167M to 2.3M and after compiling worker build dependencies are removed, so your node_modules should be quite a bit smaller now (think of building smaller container images).

UPD: Actually the compressed package is just 442k worth of data to download.

4 Likes

The documentation states that under Windows a folder containing cl should be added to the PATH. However, this alone didn’t work for me. The compiler starts all right, but then the linker cannot find the runtime library. A command prompt with some additional variables set is necessary, LIBPATH in particular.

I saw a similar problem, but as I am not familiar with native development under Windows, I failed to write it down. Would you be able to make a PR with documentation updates for GitHub - versatica/mediasoup-website: Website of mediasoup?

Here is the PR that updated docs: Updated documentation about required dependencies with Meson upgrade by nazar-pc · Pull Request #34 · versatica/mediasoup-website · GitHub

Starting from MSVS 2017 v15.2, there is a tool coming along with the VS installer that gives the paths of various components. For example:

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\vswhere.exe" -latest -find VC\Auxiliary\Build\vcvars64.bat

and the output (in stdout) will be a path to the vcvars64.bat that sets all necessary variables in the current shell (including the path to cl). After it is called, there is no need to set up anything manually in the environment. But I am not sure where is the best place to put it. Somewhere in the Makefile? Also this leaves several versions of VS (2015 and 2017 < v15.2) that probably could be used to build mediasoup’s worker, but lack the vswhere tool. So there should be a check that it exists.

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.