Signaling architecture

New to mediasoup so please pardon my ignorance.

Is it preferred to make a mediasoup router a client to the signaling server (e.g., protoo-server) so that it can talk to other WebRTC endpoints. Or is it better to have the router integrated with the signaling server?

Could someone point me to documentation on the preferred signaling architecture in mediasoup, if there is one?

I doubt that there is a preferred signaling architecture. One of the strong points of mediasoup is that it leaves you complete control over signaling.

I don’t think there’s a “better” way from mediasoup point of view. It can only be “better” for your use case.

Thanks for the reply. It’s a great thing Mediasoup has no preferred signaling architecture. But let me ask the question a different way:

Is it possible to set up a mediasoup router as a client to a signaling server? Has anyone ever done it that way?

Yes, I believe you can set up the mediasoup server (router) as a client to a signaling server.

As long as you’re able to exchange the necessary parameters between the mediasoup clients and the mediasoup server it will work. There is really no constraint on how you pass the necessary parameters (i.e. they can pass through whatever other intermediate servers you wish to have in your system, go around the globe twice, to the Moon and back, encrypted, decrypted etc.)

I didn’t try it myself though, but I can see it might be useful to do that in some cases.