Install media soup on a digital ocean setup, need help

Im not a programmer, so Im not that skilled…

But I would like to run media soup due to a project I will make. Im a medical doctor. And in these corona days I would like to be able to offer a video chat fuction for my patients that can not come in to my practice due to corona like symptoms.

I did try to set it up using the install guide: https://mediasoup.org/documentation/v3/mediasoup/installation/

And I did try using one of the docker installations. I was not able to set it up.

Any other good tutorials?

Thanks.

Honestly, if you don’t want to build your own custom application, better use any online multimedia product/application which is already done and deployed for people to use for free, such as Jitsi-Meet.

1 Like

Thanks for the honest answer. I will look at that solution.

Hi @frold, if you are legit I would happily set that up for you or host myself a copy of media soup demo which should be enough for your doctor appointments.

If you need my help, I would be happy to help you help as many as you can. Oscar.

1 Like

@aetheon
Wauw what an offer :slight_smile:
I might be a solution.

@ibc
I did set up and test jitsi-meet. But it will not run on a mobile phone out of the box. You need to install an app.

I need a easy to use solution. For my and the patient.

@frold You could use a self-hosted media soup demo, same as in https://v3demo.mediasoup.org/, and send the patients invitation links by email/sms like https://v3demo.mediasoup.org/?roomId=jo80jddv, where roomId is unique per patient. That would work on mobile browsers like safari on iOS and chrome on android.

With the time constraint that might be the easiest solution, I’m guessing. Can I ask why aren’t you using facebook messenger, google hangouts or other apps like that?

It was also my initial idea. Why I ended up here :slight_smile:

I could. But first of all I would like to use a app independing solution. Second I would like to use a solution where I not giving away eg my personal phone number.

This night I couldnt sleep. And I got an idea. I would like to setup a free solution for GPs in Denmark. As an alternative to facetime etc. But it isnt as easy as I thought :expressionless:

I even bought a domain.

Im all ready running a free and non-commerciel forum for medical students in Denmark (studmed.dk / forum.studmed.dk). I did add a wordpress solution on top of discourse. So Im not without skills. But setting up mediasoup I did hit the wall :slight_smile:

There is no tutorial for installing the demo app other than such a README. Could you specify in which exact step you are having problems?

I would like to setup a free solution for GPs in Denmark.

To me the main problem here is user management and the invitation process. If you just want something that work and its free, the media soup demo might do the job for you as described above.

So Im not without skills. But setting up mediasoup I did hit the wall :slight_smile:

There’s a learning curve and some time to invest, you also need to generate the TLS certificate to allow HTTPS and WSS.

If you need to talk and explain the problem let me know.

I did add a NodeJs droplet.

Update the server.

Ensure that ufw is enabled

To Action From

22/tcp LIMIT Anywhere
80/tcp ALLOW Anywhere
443/tcp ALLOW Anywhere
22/tcp (v6) LIMIT Anywhere (v6)
80/tcp (v6) ALLOW Anywhere (v6)
443/tcp (v6) ALLOW Anywhere (v6)

After I did run

npm install mediasoup@3 --save

I get this…

├── random-number@0.0.9
├─┬ supports-color@7.1.0
│ └── has-flag@4.0.0
└── uuid@7.0.2
npm WARN enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, open ‘/root/package.json’
npm WARN root No description
npm WARN root No repository field.
npm WARN root No README data
npm WARN root No license field.

What is the next step?

I’m afraid the README of the mediasoup demo project does not say anything about doing “npm install mediasoup”. Please read the README of the demo project.

Same requirements?

Like:

• node version >= v8.6.0
  • python version 2 or 3
  • make
  • gcc and g++ >= 4.9 or clang (with C++11 support)

Sorry, @frold. Your answer is completely unrelated to my question.

If you want to use the demo project, just use the online mediasoup-demo app. No need to deploy it in your server.

Okay, sorry. Then I understand nothing.

Im not familiar with a solution where you have to bake your own package. I have installed tons of webscript - but not this way.

It seems like this is not a solution for a simple average web hobbyist.

Sry I took your time…

As a team - to get more users - you could consider

1. more demos - to show eg by video how this cool tool can be used
  2. tutorials etc

Keep up the good work…

To clarify some things:

• mediasoup is not an application but a library for building applications.
  • mediasoup-demo is an application that uses mediasoup and other libraries.
  • The mediasoup-demo README explains how to install the mediasoup-demo application. However somehow you ended running “npm install mediasoup” which is not indicated at all in the mediasoup-demo README.
  • If you want to use the mediasoup-demo application you can install it in your own server (by following the installation steps in the mediasoup-deml README) or just use the online deployment at demo.mediasoup.org.

But somehow you have not answered to any of the concerns that I’ve told in my previous comments so it’s difficult to help this way :slight_smile:

Im sorry, I dont understand you. Neither do my wife who have read this text as well…

What do I need to answer?

Im not able to even install the demo app. Thats it.

But this might be over my level or skills, or it is! :smiley:

Sad but it seems like a cool feature / tool.

Ok, why are you running that code?

I am also interested in spining my own server with mediasoup. I would like to explore and create creative applications.
@ibc the v4 page that frold link in the first post does that with that line of code. Is that the wrong installation to be looking at?

cheers

Please avoid direct mentions, I’m not the only person here giving support.

I don’t understand your question. The installation instructions is explained in the website. mediasoup is a Node library, not a standalone media server.

@frold Have you already solved your installation issue. I’ve been successfully installed it and I can help you for your installation problem.

Firstly you should use mediasoup-demo not mediasoup as the demo could run as what you want and the mediasoup is only a library can not run without any others libraries.

Follow the README, you can install the demo simply, any question when you meet just reply me.