relationship between producer and consumer bitrates

I used methods producer.getStats() and consumer.getStats() in order to monitor the quality of the connection between two agents/peers. I focused on bitrate and roundTripTime.

I built a connection between agents A and B. However, I found out that even if the bitrates of a producer A increases, the bitrates of a consumer B does not increase accordingly. Since a producer produces more data, which results in higher bitrates, I thought the counterpart consumer would show higher bitrates as well, but it looks like there is no relationship between the two.

I am trying to monitor the quality of the connection between the two agents. Is monitoring producer stats enough? Or should I still monitor consumer stats even though it looks like there is no relationship between the producer bitrates and consumer bitrates?

If you are using simulcast you can not compare the producer and consumer bitrates because the consumer just receives one of those streams at a given time, and the consumer may even filter temporal layers of that stream. Anyway please recheck the stats of the producer in the doc since it has q field with the bitrate of every temporal and as many entries in the stats as simulcast streams it’s generating.

Other than that, you should use the consumer “score” event to see how things are going. Check it in the doc.

1 Like